Cannabis has been used by humans for thousands of years in medicine for its anxiolytic, hypnotic, analgesic, anticonvulsant, anti-emetic, anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic, and appetite stimulating effects.
The two most common & studied cannabinoids in the cannabis plant are THC & CBD.
Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is a psychotropic cannabinoid and the principal psychoactive constituent of the cannabis plant which when it binds to the CB1 receptor.
Both THC and CBD have been proposed to help control pain, anxiety, depression, sleep, autoimmune diseases, and malignancies. So…. which should one choose – THC or CBD?
Did you know that CBD is less active when it comes to heady sensations than THC? But what amazing health benefits do both these compounds offer patients?
Question: What are the benefits of taking CBD?
1. CBD blocks anandamide (the bliss hormone) from being broken down & inhibits fatty acid amide hydrolysis (FAAH) which breaks down anandamide.
The result is increased anandamide levels, and thus the increased feelings of “bliss”.
2. CBD inhibits adenosine uptake. Increased adenosine protects the person from the cellular damage seen in ischemia, trauma, stress, seizures, and inflammation.
3. CBD enhances the activity at the 5-HT1a receptor. The result is decreased anxiety.
4. CBD enhances activity at the glycine receptors. The result is decreased pain transmission from the periphery to the brain.
5. CBD blocks the GPR55 receptor. GPR55 controls cancer cell proliferation. When GPR55 is blocked, the ERK cascade is inhibited which results in cancer cell death in many types of cancer.
6. CBD decreases pain and heat from tissue injury or inflammation. CBD binds to the TRPV1 receptor. This also where capsaicin, better known as “hot chili pepper” exerts its effect.
When CBD bind to the receptor, it briefly activates, and then immediately blocks the TRPV1 receptor. When the receptor is blocked, the sensation of pain and heat is blocked from being felt.
7. CBD stops the growth of certain forms of tumors but does NOT stop the growth of normal cells.
As per your request, we are moving the weekly In-house doctor session from Thursday at 1 pm EST, to Thursday at 3 pm EST (That’s UK’s 20:00, NYC’s 15:00 and LA’s 12:00)
[Image credit: Pixabay]